Globalite Update

Today I updated Globalite, refactoring the code and fixing some issues.

I added a bunch of aliases since I was tired of typing:

<code>Globalite.current_language = :fr
</code>

I shortened it to

<code>Globalite.language = :fr
</code>

But the old method is still available so it won’t break your code ;)

The major change with this update is a better support for locales. Let’s say that in our application we setup the language to :fr (French) but we didn’t specify a country. Remember that Globalite lets you have specific translations/localizations per country so you can display dates, prices properly.

Previously, if my locale was set to :fr-* then Globalite would try to load the fr.yml files and not fr-FR.yml.

If you decided to use a fr.yml file for your UI localization, you might have noticed that all the Rails core messages weren’t translated(now you know why). This update deals with this issue and if a translation isn’t found in your locale, it will look for translations in your language but from a different country and pick a random one.

I’m expecting Rails core translations in Japanese, Korean and Chinese. Feel free to email me your own file and let me know on what project you used Globalite.

By Matt Aimonetti